Hield was selected by the New Orleans Pelicans with the sixth overall pick of the 2016 NBA Draft. The Oklahoma product made his debut on opening night, Oct. 26, by posting four points and three assists over 17 minutes in a loss to the Nuggets. On Dec. 5, injuries to Jrue Holiday and E'Twaun Moore opened the door for Hield to sieze a starting role. "Buddy Love" started the next 36 games for New Orleans. During that span, he delivered 9.3 points, 3.3 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.9 three-pointers over 22.9 minutes per game. On Feb. 20, Hield was traded, along with Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and draft picks, to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for DeMarcus Cousins and Omri Casspi. Hield made his Kings debut for three days later and tallied 16 points and six rebounds in a win over Denver. In 25 games with Sacramento, Hield's stats improved nicely. As a King, Hield generated 15.1 points, 4.1 rebounds, 2.4 three-pointers and 0.8 steals over 29.1 minutes per contest. The Kings finished the season at 32-50 and missed the playoffs. In the off-season, Hield was named to the 2016-17 All-Rookie First Team.2017
Serving as Sacramento's sixth man for the majority of his second NBA season, Hield continued to show why he is viewed as one of the very best outside shooters in the Association. He shot 44.6 percent from the field in addition to drilling 43.1 percent of his three point attempts. The later number placed him ninth in the NBA, while his 176 total triples were good for 20th overall. Hield also shot 87.7 percent from the line. Hield sunk at least one three-pointer in 18 of his first 19 contests to begin the season. On Nov. 25, he posted a career-high seven three-pointers and scored a season-best 27 points over 25 minutes in a tight loss to the Clippers. When all was said and done, Hield averaged a career-high 13.5 points per contest. He also scored in double figures in each of Sacramento's final 14 games. While Hield's shooting stroke garners most of the attention, and rightfully so, he improved in other areas as well. Hield also finished the 2017-18 campaign with career-best marks in rebounds (3.8), assists (1.9), steals (1.1) and minutes played (25.3) per game. The Kings ended the season at 27-55 and missed the post-season.2018
Hield had a breakout season with the Kings in his third NBA campaign. The 26-year-old guard averaged a career-high 20.7 points per game, which placed him among the top-30 in the league. Hield really did damage from 3-point range, where he shot 42.7 percent on 7.9 attempts per game. His 278 total made 3-pointers ranked fourth in the league and his 651 attempts were fifth. Hield's high for 3-pointers made in a game was eight, which he did in a four-point loss to Golden State on Jan. 5. He also knocked down seven 3-pointers in a game five times. Hield rounded out his offensive game by shooting a career-best 48.7 percent from 2-point range and a career-best 88.6 percent from the free-throw line, making him a particularly challenging player to slow down. While the Oklahoma product grabbed headlines for his 3-point shooting and overall scoring prowess, he also chipped in a career-high 5.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game. Hield's emergence coincided with a breakout season for second-year point guard De'Aaron Fox, and the two formed a formidable backcourt for an improving Sacramento team that scored 114.2 points per game, good for ninth in the NBA. Hield was the driving force, as he led the Kings in scoring and finished second on the team with 31.9 minutes per game.
June 23, 2016Drafted by the New Orleans Pelicans in the 1st round (6th pick) of the 2016 NBA Draft.
July 22, 2016Signed a multi-year rookie contract with the New Orleans Pelicans.
February 20, 2017Traded by the New Orleans Pelicans with Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway, a 2017 1st round draft pick and a 2017 2nd round draft pick to the Sacramento Kings for Omri Casspi and DeMarcus Cousins.
October 21, 2019Signed a four-year contract extension with the Sacramento Kings.